Monday, November 5, 2012

Tea with a Xing

I was reading Brandwashed and laughing at the ridiculous claims that I was reading. The acai berry cures everything, really? HA! I wouldn't fall for something as dumb as that. All those ridiculous homeopathic remedies, pfffft. There's no way I would fall for that. Who really buys stuff because it has the Himalayas on it. Crazy talk. Those were my thoughts while I was reading. Then I decided to take a break. I reached into my refrigerator and pulled out one of these:



That's when I realized that they got to me too. This is Xing Tea. It's one of my favorite beverages. It comes in 14 different flavors. Its a local Colorado thing, so its really hard (read: impossible) to find in Illinois, so my parents ship it to me in their care packages.


(This is the contents of one of the aforementioned care packages. If you click on this picture and like the picture on facebook, I might win a whole case and $100)

Anyway, the tea claims that it is made with pure cain sugar, and all natural ingredients. And aparently that means nothing. I was basing a lot on those claims. I like Xing better than Arizona because it uses pure cain sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup. Its even got the fruit hanging from a vine and the Chinese characters.

On their website, they have a section about health, and how green tea is healthy. It says:

Well, millions of people drinking it worldwide can’t be wrong! But yes, green tea is good for you. Green tea contains polyphenols, including epigallocatechin-3-gallate (EGCG). These powerful antioxidants have been shown to have many positive health effects.
Those are a lot of words that I don't really understand. But it makes it sound legit. But this chapter made me wonder if Xing is actually better than Arizona health wise at all.

Xing also claims:

  • No Preservatives: By canning XINGtea hot, we can keep Mother Nature in!
  • No Funny Stuff: You can pronounce and recognize every ingredient in every serving of XINGtea.
  • All-Natural Sweeteners: If it takes a chemistry lab to make it, we don’t want to taste it. We exclusively use pure cane sugar and honey to add that little hint of sweet to XINGtea.
  • Easy on the Calories: Green tea is naturally calorie-free. Our Just Plain Tea! Unsweetened Tea is calorie-free and our fruit-flavored varieties are only 60 calories per serving.
  • Caffeine Content: Green Tea Energy 150 to 155 mgs, Unsweetened Tea-Just Plain Tea 70 to 75 mgs, all other flavors-Ginseng, Mango, Pomegranate, ½ & ½, Blueberry, Peach, Cherry, Raspberry, Lemon, Sweet Tea,& Mint… 30 to 35 mgs.
  • Lactose & Gluten-free: Problems with gluten? Lactose intolerant? No worries! All of our delicious flavors are free of both gluten and lactose. Enjoy!
 This just makes me feel like a hippie. I'm wondering why an iced tea would have lactose or gluten in it, but if it helps them sell, I guess that works for them.

I guess this is really an ok thing. As Christians we do believe that our bodies are temples for the Lord and it is biblical to take care of ourselves. This aspect of advertising seems as if it is playing on our basic instinct to want to take care of ourselves. They got me, but I'm not sure if that is a bad thing.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment