Monday, October 29, 2012

Can we market Christ and the gospel?


I was swearing up and down while reading Brandwashed that celebrities do NOT influence what I buy. Yes, those crazy fans do exist that will go to absurd lengths to be like or feel a little closer to their favorite celebrity, but I feel certain I can accurately deny ever acting with such extreme irrationality. Furthermore, I felt I was totally immune to celebrity influence on my purchases. But then I was reminded of my movie obsession. I must admit I have shelled out a decent amount of money due to my preferences for certain actors and actresses. 


I love movies. So I go to movies. And I rent movies. And I buy movies. I’ve become exceedingly mesmerized by the access technology has given me to my favorite films. The first place I check is Netflix. Not on Netflix? No problem. I’ll check Redbox. Not there? How about Family Video? Still no luck. No need to worry; I can rent almost any movie on Amazon or iTunes for just a few bucks, and I don’t even have to leave my apartment! Needless to say, I’ve become a pro at finding whatever movie I want almost immediately. My greatest weakness is movies with my favorite actors and/or actresses: Denzel Washington, Audrey Hepburn, Harrison Ford, Julia Roberts, Sandra Bullock, and Russell Crowe. I will buy, go see, or rent any movie just because one of those people are in them. I am already planning to see Flight with Denzel Washington and Les Mis with Russell Crowe, and they are not even in theatres yet. Sometimes, the movies do not even have to be high quality. I own Breakfast at Tiffany’s starring Audrey Hepburn even though I think the movie is incredibly bizarre and has no plot. I own eight Audrey Hepburn movies, only two of which I had seen before buying. Sadly, I have been convinced that celebrities do affect what I buy. Those six actors’ brands were marketed to me, and I am forever hooked. 
 My obsession with movies and love for these actors goes to show that I have fallen prey to the desire, as is typical of our American culture, to seek constant entertainment, which has been made readily available and convenient for me.  Why is it that I do not seek more godly “entertainment,” more Christ-like ways to occupy my time? For the most part, the movies these particular actors star in are not unwholesome, but neither are they spiritually beneficial. I’m definitely not one to say it is a sin to participate in any activity that is not blatantly spiritually uplifting, but I am curious as to why “worldly” entertainment is our go-to, our default. Brandwashed has convinced me this has a little something to do with the fact that the ways of the world are what is marketed to us.
 

            
If this is the case, I am beginning to wonder how we as Christians can “market” the gospel in such a way that people will come running to get a little taste, to shell out time and money for its sake. Is it even possible or right to market the gospel? It sure seems that many of the most effective marketing techniques are manipulative, verging on unethical. I realize we have to be careful not to turn the gospel into or reduce it to a product we are trying to sell. Perhaps this is where we have gone astray in creating materialistic and “entertainment feel” churches that are sure to meet our consumeristic desires. Nevertheless, we do have to realize the gospel is something we are called to share to all people with the intention of recruiting them to join us in fellowship with Christ and the Church. 

As much as I’d like to hope, I am not a totally selfless being. Therefore, there is something about the gospel and this lifestyle that has appealed to me. What is it, and how can I explain it in such a way that others want it too? Again, we cannot begin to sell the message “become a Christian, and you’ll get all these great things!” Even still, we do believe the gospel is the greatest news to ever exist, so how do we share it as such? I am simply thinking aloud and do not have the perfect answers but am challenged to explore such questions. I have a feeling this good news has something to do with Christ’s unconditional love for us and the fact that, fundamentally, God is love (1 Corinthians 13). This satisfies our innate human desire to be loved and to be in relationship, because we are created in His image (Genesis 1). I willingly shell out time and money for Audrey Hepburn and Denzel Washington; they have been successfully marketed to me. How can we market Jesus Christ and the good news of the gospel to the world? Perhaps I can start by loving as Christ loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment