Sunday, October 21, 2012

Television Shows: Expectation of Sex?



I am what some would call an expert in the reality TV show “Dancing with the Stars.” I know every professional dancer, who their star partner is, how many times they have won the mirror ball trophy, approximately how old they are, and their background experience. I brief myself on every star’s background before the beginning of each season: where they come from, their experiences, and the contributions they could possibly bring to the show. Some would say I am obsessed.

Now, I would argue that statement because I am not a person to obsess over things. But I do love to watch Dancing with the Stars. Dance has always intrigued me because it is beautiful, impressive, elegant, and something that I would love to learn how to do. My mom and I used to watch the show every week; it was something special we did together.

But, the show has changed, especially in recent seasons.

From females dressed in lingerie and skimpy outfits, to men role-playing homosexuals and wearing as little clothing as possible, the show’s basis has changed greatly. From classy, elegant waltzes and stunning quick-step routines to passionate salsas and risqué Latin dances, the ballroom has exhumed a very sexual atmosphere that, in my opinion, has been a turn-off. The judges are consistently commenting on the sexiness and passion of the dances, instead of focusing on the confidence and poise of the dancers. This week’s show is even called “Guilty Pleasure” week! 

I have provided a video of a dance from "Dancing with the Stars" that portrays a dance that is rather risque with a story-line that is rather sexualized. The costumes are also over the top and inappropriate.



Now don’t get me wrong, there are still some very classy dances, beautiful costumes, and appropriate story-lines during the show; this is why I still watch the show. Dancing with the Stars has not completely lost its elegance and beauty. But, the amount of sexual innuendos has grown exponentially and has greatly begun to bother me. 

 I have also provided a video of a beautiful dance from "Dancing with the Stars" that represents the beauty, elegance, and grace that can still be portrayed in dance, as well as in the show. The costumes are gorgeous and more than appropriate and the dance is gentle and elegant.


The exponential growth of sexuality in television entertainment has become a consistency over the past few years. Sexual references have become one of the biggest sources of entertainment attraction in viewers. Take one look at practically any television show or commercial and, most likely, there is some sexual innuendo or reference that is made.

Shows like NCIS, Law and Order: SVU, Psych, Perception, Grey’s Anatomy, Glee, and the Secret Life of the American Teenager all contain some sort of sexual reference. These are just some shows on a very long list. The story-lines of the majority of these shows are not even romantically based, yet there are still sexual innuendos.

Why are sexual references commonalities in practically every television show that airs?

Because our world has become even more sexualized than at any other era in time.

People expect sex. They expect romance and passion.  If a television show does not have any romantic quality to it, it becomes a disappointment to viewers. If the show is a disappointment, than the viewers will not watch and the show will fail. Therefore, the entertainment business has adapted to the ways of the world. It has sexualized itself to please the desires of the human race.

I hate to admit this, but I watched the most recent season of the Bachelorette. Of course, I did not plan to-I do not condone the show or believe in its principalities. However, I got hooked and, I must admit, I was curious as to what the show was really about. What did I get? Well, it is pretty much men selling themselves to win one woman’s heart. This show is the very notion of how sexualized our world has become. People watch this stuff. They purposefully choose to watch men vie for a woman’s heart, get their hearts broken, and then repeat the process all over again!

What has our world come to? Is there no expectation or sincerity for true love, romance, and sex anymore?

Our world sells sex-is that not what brands do? Brands sell something. The television brand sells sex for viewers. The entertainment brand sells sex for money.

As Christians, we live in a world filled with temptation, but our challenge is to not become of the world, but to be lights within the world for Christ. Scriptures teach, “Let there be no sexual immorality, impurity, or greed among you. Such sins have no place among God’s people” (Ephesians 5:3). As we thrive in this human world filled with sexual temptation and desire, may we not stray from the path of righteousness that has been set before us. May we focus our eyes on eternal things that will bring glory to the Kingdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment