Monday, October 22, 2012

Peer Pressure and Shaving

So I realize that I am only really going to be talking to abut half of the world's population right now, but that is perfectly okay because it can apply to the other half with a little bit of tweaking.

As most girls know, shaving is a big deal when you first begin to shave. Then it just becomes somewhat of an annoyance if you are a busy person. Most girls remember when they start shaving, and most also remember why. And it is most likely not only because their s have gotten hairy. Most girls begin to shave when their friends do. No one wants to be left out and of course it is one of those topics that start to come into play at junior high slumber parties.  One girl asks the rest of the group if they have started to shave and proudly announces that she has and proceeds to tell her friends about what kind of razor and shaving gel her mom bought her. Which undoubtedly sends the rest of the girls begging to their mother's for their own razor and shaving cream. And we can't forget the "but Sally gets to!" argument.

Thus many girls begin shaving because of a friend, hence how it can be introduced by peer pressure. There is even a whole list of videos on YouTube made by a girl about how to start shaving (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lST1n_S7Io&feature=youtube_gdata_player). And in the very first video she mentions that you want to shave when all the other girls start shaving.

Now, I know that it is similar for guys, but seeing as I am NOT a guy I wouldn't know for sure. Although I did get to watch both of my younger brothers start the process. It starts with "mom look! I have hair on my chin" and my moms response was usually that she didn't see anything. But after a few weeks of persistence my mom would take pity on them and get my dad to take them razor shopping. It was quite entertaining to watch. And of course because one of my brothers started shaving the other one had to as well. And such was the cycle of everything in my household.

In 1 Corinthians 10:13 it says "there hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God (is) faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also ,make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear (it)" (KJV). Now I am not saying that shaving is a sin, but we must be careful what we fallow in terms of peer pressure. Some temptations and forms of peer pressure are not good and can cause harm, so before allowing children to follow those we really need to think about if it is beneficial or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment